This post has been updated on: 15th December 2011
Thank you to all the RCC Veloteers who responded to our request for comments on these 3 schemes. Click on the locations to read our submissions:
It’s worth noting we have been consulted about a proposed Advisory Cycle Lane in Richmond Road, East Twickenham, but this may be the result of a long-standing working relationship with the Highway Engineer: click here to read our response.
Since the Council told us earlier this year that we couldn’t go to the Traffic Management Liaison Group anymore, and while we wait to hear how they will consult us about the potential impact of proposed highway engineering works on people who cycle, we’ve been picking up proposed work through Richmond Council’s Digest, an e-mail list of Council activity [click here if you want them to tell you what they’re doing]
There are 3 this week, all relating to proposals to spend Section 106 Town and Country Planning Act money on highway improvements at:
“3.2 The new layout of the development and the new crossover access to the site has impacted on the existing pelican crossing. To ensure that the crossing is safe for pedestrians it is essential that the crossing is relocated away from the vehicle crossover. Associated footway and surfacing works are considered necessary to ensure that the approaches to the relocated crossing are to an appropriate standard.
3.3 This project will comprise two main elements:
- A slight relocation of the existing pelican crossing to ensure that it is mid way between the two vehicle crossovers and not partly over one as is the current position;
- Improvements to the footways and road surfacing in conjunction with the changes to the pelican crossing, with the addition of anti-skid surfacing to improve road safety.”
“3.2 Residents have reported ongoing issues with vehicles parking on the zig-zag markings on the approaches to the Stanley Road Zebra Crossing and illegal manoeuvres associated with the one way restrictions at the junction of Fulwell Road/Stanley Road. The development site is opposite the junction of Fulwell Road/Stanley Road and just north of the Stanley Road Zebra Crossing.
3.3 This project will have two main elements:
- Footway widening at the junction of Fulwell Road/Stanley Road to improve the start of the one way working;
- The introduction of a central refuge on the zebra crossing outside the parade of shops, just south of the development to shorten the crossing distance and discourage parking on the zig-zag markings.”
“3.2 The junction of Hanworth Road/Powder Mill Lane has a history of Personal Injury Collisions. The junction is currently controlled with a mini-roundabout and has a Puffin Crossing in close proximity to the mini-roundabout.
3.3 The project comprises:
- Relocation of the existing crossing and the possible provision of a new crossing facility or signalised junction (subject to feasibility/design)
- Realignment of the mini-roundabout to increase deflection and alterations to the existing parking arrangements.”
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org if you know any of these locations and think there’s an opportunity to make things more safe and more convenient for people who cycle, or you think that what’s proposed could make it unsafe and inconvenient.
And why not e-mail the Council as well: HighwaysAndTransport@Richmond.gov.uk