Do you want Space for Cycling in your area? Email your local election candidates now! Visit http://action.space4cycling.org/
The 2014 council elections are on 22nd May. This is a ‘once in 4 years’ chance to challenge the would-be council candidates on their commitment to cycling provision; and to make cycling an important issue on the election agenda. The local authority (LBRUT) are accountable to our elected councillors; and between them they control the vast majority of roads in the area; and decide what road and cycle improvements are made where (if any!).
This year every borough group has been asked to nominate one cycling infrastructure issue in every ward (a ‘ward ask’) for inclusion in the London-wide Space For Cycling campaign aimed at every election candidate.
Read on below for a summary of the issues local RCC members have raised…
Our Ward Asks are now all on Cyclescape and linked below.
East of the river:
- Barnes – Make Barnes village pedestrian & cycle friendly
- Mortlake & Barnes Common – Improve the route from Vine Rd to Barnes Green
- East Sheen – Make Sheen Lane safe for cycling to school
- Kew – Provide a safe route from Richmond to Kew Bridge
- North Richmond – Improve access to the schools
- South Richmond – make Upper Richmond Rd / Sheen Rd safe for kids to cycle
- Ham Petersham & Richmond Riverside – provide a safe well surfaced route from Ham House to Richmond
Centre of the Borough:
- St Margaret’s & North Twickenham – improve routes to local schools
- Twickenham Riverside – improve cycling along the riverside route
- South Twickenham – link Wellesley Road to 5th Cross road
- West Twickenham – link Staines Rd to Uxbridge Rd via golf course
- Whitton – provide cycle lanes on Whitton High St
- Heathfield – provide a safe route from Crane Park towards Feltham
- Fulwell & Hampton Hill – provide a safe link from Bushy Park to Broad Lane
- Hampton North – provide safe route to Hampton schools
- Teddington – make Teddington High St a nice place to cycle
- Hampton Wick – provide a safe route from Teddington Lock to Kingston Bridge
- Hampton – link Hampton to Lower Sunbury Road
Don’t forget! To ensure your voice is added to our campaign, please use the Space for Cycling website to raise these issues with your local election candidates now! Visit http://action.space4cycling.org/
The ‘ward asks’ are a great way to raise awareness of cycling issues with your local election candidates – but the campaign is limited to just one issue per ward. In many wards we have plenty of other issues we are tracking – for the full list in each ward visit this page and do please contact us to get involved.
Finally, for further information on how we log these issues, a detailed guide to how RCC use CycleScape is available here…. and if, like me, you are never quite sure what electoral ward is where – this handy zoomable map shows the boundaries of all wards in London: http://ukdataexplorer.com/census/london/