It’s a massive barrier for cycling in the borough, and indeed for almost everyone else. If only for the sake of the Mortlake Brewery devleopment, Chalkers’ Corner needs fixing.
Our proposal includes a number of significant changes:
- Cycling continues directly across from the Richmond side towards Chiswick Bridge
- All modes get long greens
- Make the exit from the A3006 (Mortlake) much easier, with a single light sequence
- Better pedestrian crossings on all arms
To achieve this, members have helped put together this model – it’s got a lot on …
The numbers show the light sequences, the red lines show cycling movements, and the dashed lines show pedestraisn movements.
Here’s how it works:
- Walking, cycling and driving heading east or west only (straight ahead) on the A316. This includes crossing the A205 and A3006
- The A205 heading north goes ahead, left and right. The A316 from Chiswick Bridge turns left to the A205 and A3006
- The A316 from Richmond turns right into the A205 and A3006. Cycling and walking cross the eastern side of the A316.
- The A3006 (from Mortlake) goes ahead, left and right.
- The A205 from Kew goes ahead and left. Cycling and walking cross the western side of the A316.
This design needs us to reallocate space throughout the junction, but provides clear routes for everyone, and makes it safer: It eliminates left and right hook conflicts, but will rquire a proiperly enforced yellow box.
What do you think? Our borough coordinator has uploaded the slides here.