Links

A quick list of important links we want to be on top of!

Monthly Meetings: http://www.richmondlcc.co.uk/monthly-meetings/

Suggesting a new location for bike parking: http://www.cyclehoop.rentals/suggest-location/

Council consultations portal: https://consultation.richmond.gov.uk/

TfL consultations portal: https://consultations.tfl.gov.uk/

Rides for Explorers – 2nd April – Up the Wandle

Wandle Ride 17Meet Richmond Little Green (by Richmond Theatre) 10.30. We head to Putney Bridge and then go along the Thames via Wandsworth Park to the mouth of the Wandle where we head upstream along the Wandle Trail. After a bit of busy road we get into King Georges Park and then is is mostly a mixture of parkland and quiet roads to Morden Hall Park for lunch.

We return, after a quick look at a gate from Merton Abbey transplanted to a quiet church in Merton Park,  via Wimbledon Common and Richmond Park .

A fairly short ride at 20 miles but lots to see.

Route

Six of us met up on a bright morning. There was a bit of congestion where the boat race was being prepared in Putney but we soon reached the Wandle. The first part was along quite busy roads and the contra-flow cycle lane full of parked cars wasn’t encouraging but we were soon cycling through parkland. There was a general request for a coffee stop at Merton Abbey Mills so we didn’t linger in the crowded Morden Hall Park and had lunch at the Windmill on Wimbledon Common. Hence down into Richmond Park and up again (one of us electrically powered) to Richmond Gate where we split.

Richmond Park – the new South Circular

The draft report on how we use the park makes chilling reading.

The 2015 traffic survey shows a number of worrying aspects – though primarily the one raised by the majority of the attendees at the meeting held a few years ago by Zac Goldsmith: there is too much traffic in the park, and most of it is using the park just like it might use the South Circular or the A316.

Credit is due to the Royal Parks for the thoroughness and detail which the traffic survey provides us – not only do we find out where people enter the park, but where they leave, the times, the speeds, the original sources and destinations, and the relative volumes.

The report hasn’t been officially released but it’s been shared in its draft form, and if we take the data as it appears, there’s a lot to see:

  • On a typical week (‘neutral’) week just 12% of morning (8am-9am) traffic and 9% of afternoon (5pm to 6pm) traffic is actually people coming to Richmond Park to visit it.
  • Even on Saturdays and Sundays the percentage of cars coming to the park was just 31% and 41%
  • Summer sees a significant fall in traffic into the park, suggesting that local school and business journeys are part of the volumes here: the morning volumes fall by 40.3% and the afternoon volumes fall by 29.4%..
  • Traffic flows in the typical week show very clear preferences for moving back and forth between specific gates, with Richmond and Kingston gates showing the highest volumes.
  • There’s a lot of speeding, especially on particular sections of road: between Kingston and Roehampton Gate every car speeds, with a significant number reaching 30mph..
  • Traffic on Broomfield Hill (on average) never manages to keep to the speed limit.
  • Lots of people get around the park by bike, with thousands of visitors every week arriving on wheels they’ve powered themselves.
  • Summer is a lot more popular to be in the park on a bike!
  • On weekdays, less than 20% of visitors who filled in response cards reported that they came to the park to actually visit it.
  • A quarter of typical weekday traffic is using the park for the school run
  • There is no day when the majority of people who drive through Richmond Park describe the purpose of their visit as ‘visiting Richmond Park’. (Although including ‘Leisure’ does finally tip the balance on some occasions.)
  • Around three quarters of the trips through the park on a typical weekday morning begin and end in one of the boroughs bordering the park.
  • Even though there still seem to be high volumes of traffic in the park at the moment, the volumes have slowly fallen more or less consistently since 1998.

If the final report confirms this analysis, then we think there’s a good case for the Royal Parks either closing Richmond Park to through traffic or introducing Congestion Charge style pricing to discourage through traffic.

A Tube Map for Richmond

The idea of representing cycle routes like tube lines was developed by cyclists in Bristol and Bath. They show connections clearly by simplifying geography so are not meant for navigation but give an overall idea of the state of the network.

The most accessible routes are drawn in blue and then via cyan, yellow , orange to the most hostile in red. The call is “turn the map blue ! “.

Richmond Cycle Tube MapOK ish  (mostly thanks to Royal Parks ) apart from around Twickenham and Richmond-Mortlake but the network is only as good as its weakest link and some of the weaknesses have been glossed over in the above picture. From the collision rate shown in the LIP map Twickenham Station-Riverside should be Red  as should Upper Richmond Rd.

The A305 / A311 is the direct link  between  “Village Centres” and so will be used for cycling although it is hardly to be recommended to the inexperienced. I have used a slightly thinner line. The thinnest lines are for routes that avoid traffic at the expense of being very roundabout ; fine for recreational rides.

This is an ongoing project – for the latest version see This Link

The “real” map corresponding to this is HERE To make the routes easier to follow I have used consistent colours rather than quality grading. Again the A305/A311 is narrower.

 

Cycling Liaison Group Meeting – Tuesday 31st

The council’s Cycling Liaison Group meets tomorrow at York House, 7pm – details here.

corridors and villages

(This is the map of ‘corridors’ the council is looking at – more details on p139 onwards of cabinet papers, on this page.)

There is *a lot* on the agenda, and it’s a chance to find out what’s happening, or what might hsppen in a lot of places in the borough. In particular, the council has included these:

  • LONSDALE ROAD – PARKING IN CYCLE LANES
  • CYCLING STRATEGY UPDATE
  • LOCAL PLAN
  • CORRIDORS AND VILLAGES UPDATE
  • MORTLAKE BREWERY
  • TOWPATH UPDATE
  • UPDATE ON CYCLE TO SCHOOL GRANTS
  • CYCLE CONTRAFLOWS UPDATE
  • QUIETWAY CONSULTATION RESPONSE
  • CYCLE PARKING

There’s also an “any other business”, which is an opportunity to ask about all the other cycling things we want to happen in the borough.

Meeting Notes / Actions – 9 Jan 2017 (AGM)

RICHMOND CYCLING CAMPAIGN ANNUAL MEETING,

                                     8 PM, MONDAY 9th JANUARY, 2017

held at the “Old Ship” pub, 3 King Street, Richmond

ACTION ARISING

Present : , Tim Lennon (in the chair), Simon Daws, Jonathan Gurney, Nick Hutchings, Anthony Paish, , Mick Sinclair.

Apologies : Paul Luton, Susan Scorer.

1    New Constitution : Agreed to adopt the revised and expanded constitution received from LCC, but for this decision only to take effect as from the end of the next meeting, due on Monday, 13th February.

2   Officers’ reports :

(a) Co-ordinator : Noted that Tim had already circulated to RCC members a copy of his report on the past year online.

(b) Treasurer : Noted Jonathan’s report that in the past year about £1,200 of RCC funds had been returned to LCC, leaving about £400 with RCC.

(c)  Rides Co-ordinator : Noted Tim’s report on Paul’s behalf that there had been quite a good attendance at the rides he had led in 2016, particularly to/from Box Hill.

3    Possible alternative venue for future meetings

Nick to investigate the availability, suitability and cost of a possible alternative venue, which reportedly might be hired on an hourly basis, and to report to the next meeting.  

4    Election of Officers :

(a) Tim to contact Ross Adam to establish whether the latter (Secretary for the past year) wishes to take up any elected office in 2017.

(b) Noted that, subject to the outcome of (a), the following elections were made :

Tim
to be Co-ordinator again, Simon to be Joint Co-ordinator for the purpose of Item 40 of the new constitution, Jonathan to continue as Treasurer, Paul to be Rides Co-ordinator again, and Anthony again to be Secretary i/c notes of action arising.

(c) Tim reported that John Finnerly had been very helpful in publicising RCC on Twitter, and that he would find out if John would in consequence like to take up any elected office.

5    Plans for 2017

Tim emphasised the need to get more RCC members involved in its activities and to publicise RCC more generally via events such as BikeFest. Simon added the desirability of pressing Richmond Council to remove the gate between Bank Lane and Palewell Park,which particularly handicapped users of non-standard bikes and wheelchairs, and undertook to send Tim details of the problem so that he could pursue it with the Council. 

Pasted below is the coordinator’s report for 2016.

2016 in Richmond Cycling

Quiet way proposals – 1 in consultation is in progress, others in review – I think with council and TfL. As I understand things, there are 4 being proposed, two probably have funding allocated.

Mayor’s promises of Mini Holland for every borough: we’re not sure what this will look like, but Enfield, Waltham Forest and Ealing have done some great work with their money.

More 20mph across the borough – Nelson Road is being consulted on, and appeared to have a lot of support when it was last looked at. The quietway will be 20mph, and Barnes has a number of new 20mph sections, too. (And Oak Avenue – not one I know much about …)

Nelson Road – our article is here: http://www.richmondlcc.co.uk/2016/06/28/nelson-road-we-didnt-bother-reading-the-travel-plans/

Now consulting for 20mph, but council probably does need to think about how it consults. (We’re basically consulting twice, when once should have been sufficient. Also, it’s an ongoing ‘we’re not looking at this as part of a wider strategy’.)

Better cycling as a public health issue. This is starting to come more to the fore, with the local health group starting to think harder about it. Although their own documents emphasise the importance of active travel and safe cycling, they’re doing little to support it right now.  http://www.richmondlcc.co.uk/2016/06/01/better-cycling-is-a-public-health-issue/

Change of transport boss

Peter Buckwell is the new cabinet member for transport, and there are new officials in his department, too. We seem to have people who know more or less what to do, and we have a cycling officer who is helping to make things happening. Carole has been very supportive in (for example) getting the cycle hangar done.

Cyclehangar finally – people can ask for more

We’ve got cards for this, and the council is interested in supporting it.

New cash – £2.8m? But need to be careful how they spend it .

New LIP uses ‘corridors and villages’

This is a bit of an interesting change: it looks at proper full routes which go places people want to go. It links with the quiet way proposals, and seems to show a real plan.

Quietway in Richmond Park

Was consulted on – I don’t think their proposal is that great, but then the bit through the park needs virtually nothing done, except making the gates more accessible at night.

Roehampton Lane changes

Being consulted on by Wandsworth Council. This includes elements of Priory Lane, but is still not a pretty looking place to cycle, tbh.

Towpaths – being consulted on improving them.

We made some submissions on this: http://www.richmondlcc.co.uk/2016/10/20/towpaths-which-would-you-improve-first/ It sounds like it is money that needs to be allocated before the end of the year, and I’m not sure what final decision was made.

New cycling strategy http://www.richmondlcc.co.uk/2016/11/23/draft-detailed-response-to-the-cycling-strategy/

This should hopefully be discussed at the next Cycling Liaison Group

Teddington Station – new cycle hub: http://www.richmondlcc.co.uk/2016/11/15/cycle-hub-at-teddington-station/

Part of a wider South West Trains strategy. Looks nice and functional, and will hopefully be running out of space very quickly!

Asking police to step up: http://www.richmondlcc.co.uk/2016/11/03/time-for-richmond-police-to-do-their-bit/

Camden Police and West Midlands have been carrying out a ground-breaking piece of work on close passes. Despite email, tweet and direct message to Richmond, we’ve heard nothing from them.

Council slowly improving how it closes paths and pavements.

This is something they are a bit random about. There seem to be clear guidelines, and some boroughs (and TfL) have clear rules about making sure roadworks leave things safe for walking and cycling, but the council needs to follow their base guidelines, and ideally adopt the more stringent ones.

But lots of places where cycling is still an afterthought, like Hampton Court. On Petersham Road, we were supposed to be able to cycle, but then it got withdrawn at the last minute. http://www.richmondlcc.co.uk/2016/06/23/petersham-road-is-closing-but-not-to-walking-and-cycling/

Merger with Wandsworth – not clear what effect this will have.

This seems to have gone through, and both councils have been re-advertising jobs. There have been changes in Highways, but I don’t know what difference this will really make.

Change of MP – will Sarah Olney be more pro-cycling? We’ve asked for a meeting.

No actual change we can see to cycle provision in the borough – a long list of things that need fixing, but the Quiet Way is the first time the borough has said ‘we are prioritising walking and cycling over driving’

Hammersmith bridge work

Some extensive work is due to happen here, but we don’t really know when, or what. H&F cyclists might know more.

Kew bridge work

Running for three months. Again, not sure what all the changes are, but this is separate from any plans to improve cycling.

CS 9 coming.

Apparently. I think this was announced in the mayor’s latest plans, as one that would go ahead, but we’ve not really heard much …

New parking standards – how do we make sure these are enforced?

It sounds like the policy has been approved, but again, it’s not entirely clear how this will be enforced. Probably need to check that the policy made it live, and that