Our response is here – RCC – LIP2 Response.
Lengthy and time consuming documents to read, at 54 and 72 pages each, they are important for what they say about the next 3 years and for some time into the future. Hard to sum up but if you can’t face a couple of pages of Commentary here are some headlines:
- 14% of the total budget for 2011/2014 is going to cycling schemes;
- 4 Cycling Objectives, 6 Cycling Targets and 29 Cycling Policies is something to hold the Council to but few targets to measure progress against;
- The nature and causes of congestion are not fully explained;
- Nothing to discourage car use;
- No clear target for the percentage of people who cycle as their main method of travel [modal share]: we are asking for an increase to 20% from the current figure of 6%.
Cyclists can look forward to a slightly brighter future but with no change to the world around them: 6 out of 10